The year has not quite gone as planned. Who am I kidding? Nothing has gone even remotely close to our general plan. I could go on and on – I’ll spare yall the details and just give highlights.
- By September, we had managed to get the house “live-ably dry”. Is that even a word? Eh, it works. And mostly around budget. And all without contracting anything out. Which technically was our original goal. Not bad for some folks with no building experience! Thank you Google and YouTube!
- No, we are not including siding in the “dry” stage. Mostly because it has been a year, and we know we will add on, just haven’t figured out timing. We figured we would be at that stage by now. It would totally be a waste to do all the rock and siding just to add on a few months later.
- Mr. has been out of work for most of the year. When he did have work it was of the “just barely enough” variety. Not very conducive to building a house with cash.
- Needless to say, the house has taken much much much longer than anticipated.
- We stayed with my parents for 6 weeks during the dog days of summer.
- Officially, unofficially, moved into the framed out, insulation and stair-less house. Even brought the mattresses. Oh was that *heaven* for an 8 month pregnant mama!
- Had Baby Girl in October. Too cute if I do say so myself.
- Had Postpartum Preeclampsia and water around my heart. Thankfully it resolved within a couple of months. Strangely, my blood pressure is much more temperamental than it was before.
- Stayed with Mr.’s parents during the coldest couple of months of winter.
- Bless all of our families’ hearts for dealing with our large, often chaotic, bunch.
- Besides those 4ish months we have been living at the house. Slowly doing whatever projects we can as time and cash allow.
- In January, Mr. tweaked a muscle in his back pretty bad, severely limiting his ability to build.
- In March, Mr. started a “typical” job – our first in over 13 years. A huge change from the self-employed life we are used to. So far it has been such a huge blessing! The Lord has truly “made all things work together for our good”!
The plan for the next year – FINISH THE HOUSE! Since we did accomplish our plan last year, for this next year I will be much more specific.
* Finish inside – all the way to paint and molding! Electrical wires need to be ran, plumbing to be completed, insulation, drywall, cabinets – thankfully most of the big stuff is done.
- rain water is taking a larger role than we had originally thought, it will be used for toilet flushing, hooked to a batch solar hot water heater for washing laundry, possibly to an outdoor shower and of course garden watering.
- well water will need to be figured out.
- definitely doing solar power, debating how much to do via solar vs grid power (like the power hog well pump and filters – would it be more cost effective to go grid vs how to configure it to be offgrid).
* Build the garden – while we will likely not plant much this spring/summer, I want to have it ready to go for spring 2014
You can read a more Rambly Reflection here.